Monday, January 7, 2008

Beefing up The General

Do you name your computers?

Usually I do. I haven't always though. My Apple ][+, Apple //e, and Apple IIgs were never given names.

The Powermac 6100 that I will be using for the main portion of my retrochallenge activities was branded with the nickname "The General", from the super computer in the 1960s cult TV series "The Prisoner."

My first Mac was a Performa 450 (aka LC III). Moving from that to a Powermac 6100 with a Dos card allowed me to run not only classic older 68k apps, but the new PowerPC apps and Dos and Windows programs. Quite a leap.

I see that fellow Retrochallenger conceited jerk names his computers as well, and is also a big fan of the 6100.

What makes the 6100 so appealing?



First off, the case is very cool. I know it debuted with the Centris 610 - but I would venture to say that when most computer enthusiasts see the case, they think of the 6100.

Second, expansion is pretty easy. The 7100 and 8100 series cases were a nightmare to work with. Not the worst Mac cases of all time, but not nearly as easy to pop off and add memory or change hard drives as the 6100.

The Dos card, which only worked in the 6100, was a big plus. An almost fully fledged PC (with a ram slot and ability to use a PC joystick) right inside the case.

With the right angle adapter, the 6100 could use the AV card too.

So, from people on the 68kmla forum, I've ordered a couple things - one is a SCSI to IDE adapter for about $40, and also 2 64mb simms for $12. I know the purpose of the retrochallenge isn't to see how much money you can pump into an old machine - but these two upgrades will really help turn The General into a Media Center.

A nice benefit too, is that the two 32mb simms in the machine now can then be used in other machines - most likely my LCIII with the Apple IIe card. (Can you tell I like computers with other computers inside them?)

No comments: