Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Ad of the Day #6 - RIP Compuserve

I was surprised to hear that Compuserve was ending its dialup service after 30 years of service. The corporation itself began 4o years ago, in 1969.

I never had the service, I did have AOL briefly, and even used Apple's dialup/internet service E-World for a while, before switching to an ISP that I still use for dial up when broadband isn't available.

In locating these ads - I really remember the double page spread - it really showed the possibilities and made me want to get the service back when I was younger. I didn't have a modem, it would have tied up our family phone line and it was expensive - so I never subscribed.


I had forgotten that it was once a subsidiary of financial services company H&R Block. I was going to use this ad for the alcohol related theme from day 3 before I found the better ad with the Sierra On-Line folks.




With this 3rd one - I can see why Jennie needed a travel agent - she wanted to get away from her dork husband "Ralph" and her even dorkier son "Herbie".



I love the final paragraph from this UK story about Compuserve's demise:

It's important to note that CompuServe users will be able to convert their ridiculous classic 9 and 10-digit email addresses to the CompuServe 2000 service in order to retain their well-earned sense of superiority over youngster internet users everywhere. Nothing says stay off my lawn like 76453.1032@compuserve.com

No comments: