Thursday, July 9, 2009

Ad of the Day #8 - E.M.S.

Back in the early 80s, as a student with no income, I would request the demo disks of all kinds of products/services I could never afford - just to get the floppy disk, which I would then initialize and put my own stuff on. I definitely recall General Motors' Buick doing a demo disk that was fairly interesting. The packaging was very nice as well, and my parents wondered what on earth I had "ordered" from Buick when it came in the mail.

When I did scrape together enough money to buy a box of 5 1/4" disks, the media of choice was Elephant Memory Systems.


According to the Wikipedia, it was a low end brand that eventually marketed itself as a high end brand. The article also points out that they used bright colors that really contrasted them from their boring competitors, who mostly used black, red, and blue for their disk media branding, and now that I think back, that is very true.

I do recall they also included a logo sticker or two with their disks, which most people would then stick on their disk caddys. I can't recall any of the other companies like Nashua, Verbatim, BASF, etc. doing anything similar.

Here is an excellent tribute site to EMS: http://home.comcast.net/~kevin_d_clark/ems/ - lots of great scans, including the memory pamphlet by " A. Wiley Pachyderm" :-)

So Retrochallengers - anybody else have a fond recollection of a media company?

No comments: