Thursday, July 30, 2009

Boot Screen Madness

One of my goals for this Retrochallenge was to do some boot screens for Apple ][ software.

Since some of my fellow Retrochallengers were working on Apple ][ projects I thought I would volunteer to make boot screens for them.

Dogcow was very happy with his - I'm sorry we won't see the game yet. He posted the color version - I'll show the monochrome versions I created.

Dogcow's NetSnake (I love how it looks like data is flowing between the Apples and the snake):



One Elk Runs did a Mastermind in LISP - and unfortunately the LISP environment and HGR must conflict - no matter how much variable / memory / screen clearing I did - showing this screen and then running his program would result in jibberish on the screen - which is why I never sent this to him. Anyone care to figure out why it doesn't work? I like how I got the Retrochallenge logo in here - plus the older, distinguished gentleman and his Asian girlfriend from the board game version:


Schadenfreude/1 bit fotographie did a fireworks program, and so I decided to make a screen reminiscent of the Softdisk "Magazette", Magazine on a Disk. He really loves tacos so I thought - not soft tacos but...TACOSOFT!



And finally, a rather poor bootscreen for the Prisoner adventure game - in memory of the late Patrick McGoohan:



To create these I used Photoshop for the photographs, then saved the graphic as a .gif, moved those .gifs to a blank floppy using Ciderpress, then converted from .gif to Apple ][ HGR using IIgif, and then used Fontrix for most of the lettering. So while Luddite was going from Apple II to the web, I was going the opposite way.

I guess I should make a .dsk available with the graphics - and if anybody else wants a retro-style Apple ][ boot screen - let me know what you would like (elements + wording) and I'll whip it up.

1 comment:

jonno said...

bugger - did I leave it too late to beg for a bootscreen for my gopher client?

(please ignore the fact that for the first 30.87 days of july it was a C64 app)