Wednesday, July 1, 2009

RetroChallenge 2009!

I hope to have a fantastic blog this time around, and inspired by the art used on this year's Retrochallenge page (of the lovely lady with a tape system), I will try to post each day, an old advertisement from various computer magazines featuring women and vintage systems. "Hot chicks and old computers." Sexist? Yes. But wait til you see some of these blatant ads! I'll throw in some more subtle ones, and generally try to examine how women were used to market hardware and software in late 70s and early 80s.

I will also try to post the "Ad of the day" which will feature an advertisement for hardware or software that is worthy of note – because of its impact on the industry, was a personal favorite of mine, or just because I thought the ad was interesting.

Regarding the hardware portion of the challenge, I will be working on my Apple //e, a IIgs, a Mac LC III with Apple //e card, and Apple II emulation using a modern PC & a modern Mac, as well as my almost vintage PDA, a Compaq Ipaq 3950.

For software, I will be playing with various graphic utilities, and I plan to add some cool boot screens to my favorite games and utilities, as well as develop a graphics utility disk featuring various programs. I've also got a "secret" project that I'll be working on that I will hopefully unveil at the end of the challenge.

Best of luck to my fellow participants.

No comments: